Hospitality venues in Wiltshire urged to apply for pavement licences for when lockdown is eased

Hospitality venues in Wiltshire urged to apply for pavement licences for when lockdown is eased

Temporary pavement licences can be issued to premises for the sale of food or drink for consumption, and once approved, they allow eligible businesses to put tables and chairs on the public highway outside their premises to trade safely.

The licences are free of charge in the Wiltshire Council area, and in most cases are valid for 12 months from the date of issue. However, they are subject to a statutory notice period of ten working days, during which time people will have an opportunity to comment on the application. Any business that successfully applied for a licence at an earlier point in the pandemic should check the expiry date on their licence and may need to reapply if the expiration date is close.

The council also requires any business that may have furniture on the highway without a licence to contact them, as will help to keep pavements and highways safe and avoid requests for removal.

Conservative Cllr Bridget Wayman, Cabinet Member for Highways, said:

As lockdown is eased and more businesses can reopen, we want to give Wiltshire's hospitality venues the opportunity to apply for temporary pavement licences in plenty of time for their proposed earliest reopening date on 12 April.

We could charge for this service, but we are offering the licences free of charge as we want to do all we can to support Wiltshire businesses. I would urge all eligible businesses to apply as soon as possible so they can take advantage of the opportunity to trade again safely.

Any business that had a temporary pavement licence issued previously during the pandemic may need to check the end date of their existing licence and apply again, but we will do all we can to fast track these applications to ensure there is no gap in the time they hold a valid licence.

We know how important it is to give businesses every opportunity to succeed during what has been a difficult time, and once these venues are able to reopen, these licences will enable traders to accommodate customers outside safely.

Businesses can read detailed FAQs and download the application form on our Temporary pavement licences page. People can also view the applications for consultation on the same page.

Completed application forms should be emailed to

by Charlie Monro,