Conservative led Wiltshire Council has worked with local childminders and activity providers to crea...
Following the Prime Minister’s confirmation of the move to Step 3 of the Government’s ro...
News article courtesy of ThisIsWiltshire.co.uk:...
Conservative led Wiltshire Council has today (Saturday 8 May) completed the count for the council un...
I currently own and manage the Winkworth Estate Agents in The Market Place in Devizes and the High Street, Marlborough, having spent the past 17 years working in the property sector in Wiltshire and the South West...
Previously I have been an executive director and shareholder with a small chain of country retail stores and an equestrian wholesale business, marketing and selling international brands, to the retail market both in the UK and overseas.
I had a military career with The Household Cavalry and more locally I commanded B Squadron of The Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry in Salisbury. Following my regular military service, I spent three years at The Royal Agricultural College reading agriculture and business.
I was elected to represent Devizes South and Roundway in 2013 and have participated fully in the work of the Council by chairing the Devizes Area Board, where we have a number of very exciting initiatives working with schools, businesses and the Third Sector.
After six years on the backbenches gaining invaluable experience as chair of the Northern Flood Working Group and a committee member at various times on Children’s Select, Licensing, Pensions Board and Overview and Scrutiny, I was asked by the Leader to join the Executive. Initially as the Portfolio Holder responsible for LD Transformation, looking in particular at re launching the Shared Lives provision in the County. With the change in leadership in 2019, I joined the Cabinet as Member for Finance and Procurement. Having set the Budget for the 2020/21 financial year and worked closely with Directors and Officers in the opening few months of the pandemic, the Leader invited me to become the Member for Adult Social Care, Public Health and Public Protection.
It has been a challenging six months and I am now focused on transforming many of our services from domiciliary care to care homes and day care.
I am also very interested in how we can improve the pay and conditions of social workers, occupational therapists and care workers. Currently recruiting, retention, training and career management and progression are all pretty poor, particularly in the public sector. There has to be a sea change in the public’s attitude and perception of care workers; there are simply not enough of them and the tsunami of ‘baby boomers’ reaching 75 coupled with the pandemic are setting us up for the ‘perfect storm’.
I am married to Lisa, we live in central Devizes and have three children Amelia (20), Ben (18) and Hannah (16). I am a keen golfer, cyclist and military historian.
Please check out my Facebook page: www.facebook.com/simonjacobsds/
As far as local projects and interests are concerned my fingers are in many ‘pies’
- Continue to promote and encourage all efforts to advance health and wellbeing in the community. From loneliness to obesity, healthy eating to exercise.
- Working on promoting a 20 MPH limit through central Devizes
- A new ‘home’ for Opendoors
- The redevelopment of the Wharf, old Police Station and hospital sites 2
- The creation of a country park to the west of the town
- The establishment of new permissive paths to enable residents to walk the bounds of the town
- Continuing to liaise and work with the key players in the redevelopment of the old Assize Courts
- Continue to encourage and promote the Devizes Outdoor and Celebratory Arts programmes
- Continue to promote culture and tourism in the town with particular interest in the Devizes Gateway station at Lydeway Community and council work
Devizes Area Board Video
Devizes community area board video by Wiltshire Council